Many have heard of genetically modified organisms (GMOs) and know that they are being added into our food supply, but few know of the dangers. Let’s find out why you should join the cause and fight GMOs, and how to fight GMOs.
GMOs are added into our food supply for a variety of reasons.
Unfortunately, the reasons for adding the GMOs are also the reasons for fighting the GMOs.
First we’ll see why we should fight, and then we’ll provide links to help you learn how to fight GMOs.
We must get involved and protest the addition of these organisms into our food – at least until the long term effects have been studied and released.
By the way, we don’t want these studies to be funded by the companies who would profit from GMOS – but studies that are funded for the welfare of the citizens.
Why You Should Fight GMOs
- For some foods, such as corn and soy, the GMO additive prevents bugs from destroying the crop. Therefore, that particular GMO is a pesticide. The problem with this is that unlike pesticides applied to the surface of crops and produce, these GMO additives are added genetically and cannot be rinsed off. Therefore, when you eat these products you are also ingesting pesticides.
- Pesticides are POISON. This is why we protest. We do not wish to poison ourselves or our children just so your produce looks better longer.
- GMOs are now being added to apples to keep them from turning brown so quickly. Sounds nice, right? However, the GMO that is added is a protein, and that new protein will change the cellular structure of other existing proteins.
- How will it change them?
- WE DON’T KNOW! This is why we protest. We want to protect the health of our children.
- “No testing has been done to assure the apples’ safety in the long-term, and we know that scientists are seeing birth defects, high infant mortality rates, and sterility in hamsters, rats, and livestock fed genetically engineered soy and corn, and some hamster pups even started growing hair on the inside of their mouths.”
- Organic growers are also using GMOs – it seems we can trust NO ONE.
- Kashi, which everywhere proclaims its passion for “healthy, all-natural foods,” has GMO soy in its ingredients. Kellogg owns Kashi, Morningstar Farms, Eggos, Poptarts, Nutrigrain Bars and Keebler cookies which have GMOs.
- The company [Kelloggs] has contributed $612,000 to defeat Prop 37 and keep GMO labels off their products.
- Sierra Mist Natural is owned by PepsiCo, which has contributed more than $1 million to defeat Prop 37. http://www.anh-usa.org/the-great-organic-deceivers/
*Remember, GMO stands for a Genetically Modified Organism whose effects have not been properly studied.
We must fight GMOs!
Here’s a list of other GMO supporters that you should boycott,
provided by clicking on: ElephantJournal.com.
How to Fight GMOs
- Join Facebook Groups
- Sign Petitions
Follow some of the Facebook pages listed below to keep up to date on what is happening with GMOs and new informtation on how to fight GMOs.
California is foremost in the fight by trying to force food producers to label their products.
Currently, there is no law requiring our food suppliers to inform us of genetically modified organisms that have been added to our foods. This is just another reason to fight GMOs. The least they can do is allow us the choice of buying these products and not sneak the into our cupboards.
If there is nothing to hide or be ashamed of, then label the foods!
This is why we protest – because these changes are being kept in the closet -
we are being fed GMO food without our knowledge.
Get more information and sign petitions at the following sites that are fighting GMOs:
Protect yourself and your children and your grandchildren. Protect everyone’s health by protesting this potentially unhealthy additive in our environment.